Wednesday, September 30, 2015

October, November, and Links


I don't do many of these types of posts where I explain what I'm going to be doing on the blog in the immediate future. However, I always feel warranted doing one at the end of September because this is the time when Dell on Movies shifts focus ever so slightly. No worries. It's still a movie blog and you may not even notice anything different except that, like every October, this place becomes focused on a specific genre. Horror. I like to call it 31 Days of Horror. With any luck, the name will be well earned as I plan to post every single day between now and Halloween. As usual I'll post plenty of reviews. I'll try to hit horror from every angle with lots of straight-forward horror, some horror-comedies, 'some so bad it's awesome' no-budget movies, and I might get into an animated horror flick or two. I'll also post a list or two, horror inspired versions of some of my other features, and so on and so forth. If I can come up with a decent idea, I'll try to get you guys involved and host a blogathon. Not promising that one. My wheels are turning, but I just haven't gotten there, yet.

When the calendar flips again over to November, things will be back to normal. Or, as normal as it gets around here. The big deal, for me at least, is that I'll have backed myself into a corner and seen as many 2014 movies as I need to feel comfortable giving my overall opinion on the year in cinema. This means, I will finally post my own personal awards, 2014 Dellies. In case you were wondering, the rule of thumb I use is that I have to have seen at least 100 movies released during a calendar year before I hand out awards. I've already flew past that number, but there are a few titles out there that I've heard lots of good things about that I still need to see. I should get those out of the way between now and early November and be ready to go. Oh, and I'll have a brand new Spot the Movie Titles Contest. Click here to see how the last one worked out.




LINKS!!!

In my travels around the blogosphere, I've come across some amazing posts. Here are a few of my recent faves.

Eclectic Scribblings tells us her 20 Most Rewatched Movies

Graveyard Shift Sisters posted an amazing article entitled Black Women in 21st Century Horror Films: The New Masters

Grog gives us Grog's Top 10 Martin Scorsese Films

Life vs Film reviews The Birth of a Nation

Taste of Cinema tells us about 10 Essential About America that Start with the Word American

That Other Critic writes about every James Bond film ever made in one post

Finally, we have two posts about the recent controversy surrounding comments Matt Damon made about gay actors, one from Film Guy Reviews and the other from Dancin' Dan on Film.

18 comments:

  1. I'm going to be doing some horror for October as well. Some de Palma, Carpenter, Hitchcock, and other weird stuff plus a few theatrical release. Besides, I've got a good line-up of films that I plan to watch and a major announcement about the next and final Auteurs subject for this year and it's a big one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Looking forward to it, especially the big announcement.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shoutout! I'm not a massive horror fan but I'll definitely make sure to check out all your posts, especially if Shaun of the Dead is involved somewhere in them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Not sure if Shaun of the Dead will be involved. Depends on what type of lists I choose to do. I've already reviewed it, though.

      http://dellonmovies.blogspot.com/2012/10/shaun-of-dead.html

      Delete
  3. Horror is my weak spot so I'll be looking forward to finding some hidden gems from you next month. Also looking forward to your 2014 awards!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I'll try to provide some! Looking forward to getting those awards up, ad well.

      Delete
  4. Bring on the 31 days of horror!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love horror so I'm looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the linkage! Looking forward to your 31 Days of Horror - it's a weak spot for me and I'm toying with doing something on my own blog 'round Halloween time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  7. I've skipped doing a horror month this year, but I've already started writing reviews for October 2016 - where I tackle the Big Five horror icons: Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, Friday The 13th, and Hellraiser. Yeah, I know, planning this 12 months out from completing might seem a bit overcautious, but I have a hell of a lot of film watching to do!

    Can't wait to read your work this month, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Now I'm pumped for October 2016! Some great movies, there...and some duds if you plan on working through all the franchises. Love that you're going to do that.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the mention! I'm also planning on doing horror in October, along with more Bond talk in preparation for SPECTRE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like forward to reading your posts on this most horror-ble of months :). If you get a chance, maybe you could do a review on M. Night Shyamalan's new thriller - The Visit. I found it pretty scary and quite well-crafted, was I just been generous? Would love to know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to, but I doubt I will get to. Keep your fingers crossed for a small miracle, though. You never know.

      Delete