Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2016 Blind Spot Series: My Selections


I gave myself one freaking task as a blogger for 2015 and I failed it. My goal was a simple one. I wanted to participate fully in The Blind Spot Challenge set forth by Ryan of The Matinee. To do so, I only had to watch and write about one movie of some significance that I had never seen before each month for a total of twelve for the year. Sadly, I only made it through eight. You can read the reviews for those by clicking here. Since I'm no quitter, I am most certainly going to try this again.

To do this, of course, I have to pick twelve movies. Since I missed four movies in 2015, I've already got four picked for 2016. That means there are 8 more spots to fill. No problem. Last year, I didn't assign months to any of my picks. I just chose whichever of the chosen 12 suited my fancy. This time, I'm going to actually let you know ahead of time which movie I'll be watching each month. And since I'm a glutton for punishment, I will actually attempt more than 12 movies. You'll see what I mean soon enough. I'll explain why I picked each movie when I actually post about it through the course of the year. Titles with asterisks are holdovers from 2015. Let's get to it.

January
Wild Style
(1983)


Febuary
Bugsy Malone
(1976)


March
Sophie's Choice
(1982)


April
Philadelphia*
(1993)


May
The Street Fighter
(1974)


June
The Outlaw Josey Wales*
(1976)


July
Big Trouble in Little China
(1986)


August
All the President's Men
(1976)


September
From Hell*
(2001)


October
The Phantom of the Opera*
(1925)


November
THX 1138
(1971)

December
The Harry Potter Franchise
(2001 - 2011)

Wish me luck!!!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a nice list. I've seen Philadelphia, All the President's Men, From Hell, Big Trouble in Little China, and the entire Harry Potter series. I have THX 1138 in my DVR list as I'll watch that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really looking forward to THX 1138. I actually started it a couple times, but never finished. Both times it was way after midnight and I thought I could still muscle through a movie, but couldn't.

      Delete
  2. Harry Potter <3

    All the President's Men is going to be my January Blindspot. I just finished it recently, really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured it's about time I bite that HP bullet. Really looking forward to All the President's Men. Looking forward to them all, actually.

      Delete
  3. All the President's Men!!!! One of my top 20 favorite movies of all time! Probably in the top 10 but once I narrow to 20 I have a hard time hitting on any sort of priority sequence. Can't wait to read what you think.

    That's a big bite you're taking in December, the entire HP oeuvre is quite time consuming. For me the films got progressively better as they went along, I found the first one insufferable and didn't watch the second for quite some time but it turned out to be a vast improvement.

    Of the rest I haven't seen three...Wild Style, Street Fighter and From Hell, but the others are a nice mix of silly-Big Trouble in Little China, quirky-Bugsy Malone, and serious-Sophie's Choice.

    Glad to see the Lon Chaney's silent Phantom of the Opera here. His films are so individual and silents present their own set of viewing rules and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AtPM is the one I am most looking forward to after Bugsy Malone. I'll explain why in February.

      The plan for the HP films to actually watch them throughout the year culminating with a post in December. Hopefully, that won't be too tough to accomplish.

      I always try to get a wide variety of movies so I am glad I succeeded.

      I've seen a decent number of silent flicks, at least compared to people I know in everyday life. Most of them would rather die than watch one, lol. So I am familiar with the challenges that come with them.

      Delete
  4. Great choices, there are always a few classics to catch up on. All The Presidents has gotten quite a bit of attention with its comparisons to the oscar contender Spotlight. wow, the entire The Harry Potter Franchise! Think I've only seen the first film and didn't get any furthur. Big Trouble in Little China an Sophie's Choice are among my all-time favorites, they are like night and day, but I love them both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had no idea AtPM and Spotlight were being compared. That's interesting. Yeah, gonna finally tackle Harry Potter.

      Delete
  5. OMG I'm floored that you haven't seen a single Harry Potter movie! That's like my childhood in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a one. There is a reason, sort of, but I'm withholding that information until I actually post about it.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen Bugsy Malone and the HP franchise on your list. I hope you enjoy them! I loved Bugsy Malone, Jodie Foster was great there. I'm looking forward to reading your opinion about the HP franchise. All the Presidents Men is also in my blind spot this year. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting a long time to see Bugsy Malone so I'm pumped for that one. It's going to be an interesting year getting through the HP franchise. Can't wait to compare notes on All the President's Men.

      Delete
  7. Hey Wendell - time I started dropping by, you've been kind enough to do so on my blog, and I like the look of your choices here! I've actually only seen a few of these myself so I could copy most of them and stick them on my 2017 list :)
    I watched THX 1138 a couple of months back for the first time and that was very interesting. Completely different to the rest of George Lucas' filmography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind you copying these choices at all. I'm looking for THX as I understand that it is very different. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete